Saturday, December 11, 2010

A journey just begun

As the GLBT community we far too often forget about the (T)transgender in our community. Our transgender brother and sisters face many adversities, some difficult for us to imagine. Their path to self actualization requires not only a physical transformation but also a social one. Here is a brief introduction to the life of my friend Gavi, as written by her, a transgender woman from North Carolina USA, a woman on a journey that has only just begun.
Born physically a boy to heterosexual parents in the conservative south I still found myself always drawn to being female. And on top of that I always was attracted to members of all genders. Thinking I was going to "burn" forever and struggling to find a balance between my religion, people, and my sexuality I came to the point I just didn't know what to do.

I began to physically beat myself because I was so confused as to why I was this way... why am I attracted to members of the same-sex? I had always been a good person was kind to others and had a love for the Divine and still do, but in the end it just didn't make sense why this loving Divine being or force would condemn me because I was born this way. A year prior to the climax of my struggles I met Stephanie Silberstein and we became best of friends. The next year she began to help me in my worst of times and guided me through all this pain. I began to explore more of who I am and had the attitude that I could pull through this and work hard to find myself successful. I now love who I am... and that person is a openly Bisexual/Pansexual Transgender Woman.

I have been living openly as a woman for nearly a year and my next step is to legally change my name to fit my gender identity as female. To read more please check out the book my friend Stephanie wrote called "Shades of Gay" and in the back you will find the Afterword written by myself, Hadassah D Gavi Chayim (the name I'm adopting). I also write blogs, am an Artist and LGBTQ Activist and I love to teach and give people hope. Check out my blogs It's a Girl to see the latest news on my life as a Transgender Woman and earth based Jew.

Thank you so much for your support... it has actually been a predominantly positive journey so far for myself as a Transgender Woman but North Carolina is fighting me about my name change... if you would like to show some support for me and you have a Facebook account please visit my Facebook Page. Thank you again so very much.

Thank you for reading this and I hope that I can bring hope to many people and make a positive difference in the LGBTQ community by the life I'm living with higher self-esteem and happiness and joy.

2 comments:

Clueless said...

Thank you for sharing this post. Yes, individuals who are transgender never get enough consideration and have very different issues and difficulties.

Bitter Bitches said...

Clueless, that's very true and they also don't always get the support from the GLBT community that they need.

More articles you might like

Related Posts with Thumbnails